Sunday, June 28, 2009

15th Anniversary Dinner at Geoffrey's in Malibu

We just celebrated our 15th Anniversary Dinner at Geoffrey's in Malibu. This is the place I proposed to Grace about 15.5 years ago. They used to have a private rooftop table called the "crow's nest." I had them put some candles on the stairs, ordered some beautiful flowers for the table. We had a great dinner and I asked them for the desert menu, which I revised from their menu. I inserted, "Marriage Platter. Lifetime of happiness with Kevin. $Priceless." When she saw the item, I got on my knee and proposed to her. This was my formal proposal.

The way I actually proposed to her was very different. Because we had a long distance relationship, we used to talk on the phone all the time. Everytime we talked, I used to ask her to marry me. It became a tradition that I would ask her to marry and she would say, "maybe." To me, maybe was an encouragement. One day, Grace finally decided to say yes, but I didn't ask her to marry me. I was about to hang up the phone when she asked me whether I was going to ask her what I always ask her. I said, "what...? how...are...you?" She said, "nooo...." When I realized what she was saying, I got really serious and said slowly, "would you marry me?" She said, "Yes." I said, "Do you mean I got the question right or , .... are you saying yes to the the proposal?" She said, "proposal." That was the beginning of this wonderful marriage.
I never knew it would be so good. We had some rough times here and there, but overall, our marriage has been a great blessing.

Grace is my love, my best friend. She is my confidant. My best critic. She tells me the truth. She tells me when my sermon sucked. She is my great source of encouragement. I stand strong because of her. We love talking to each other. We never get bored with each other. Or at least, I don't get bored with her. I walked into marriage expecting a lot of difficulties, but what I experienced was delight. Grace has been the greatest blessings on this earth for me.
I look forward to growing old with Grace.

2 comments:

New City Church said...

how lovely!

benilhalk said...

Oh wow, I am glad to see your 15th Anniversary Dinner photos at Geoffrey's in Malibu. This place looks so pretty. Glad to know that you had wonderful time on your special day. Our 1st anniversary is also coming and we will celebrate it at grand seattle convention center. So excited for the day!